Can I Become a Licensed Teacher Without an Education Degree?

The answer is YES.

In this modern world of teaching, getting a job is becoming strenuous because of the competitive industry we’re at. Unlike before when online teaching weren’t in demand yet —searching for ESL jobs tend to be a piece of cake.

I’ve been a freelance English teacher for many years, and I could say that there’s no shortcut to becoming a successful EFL/ESL teacher or whatever you want to call it. You really have to work your way up in order to thrive in this line of work.

While many companies have different qualifications or criterias when looking for a teacher —getting hired by them isn’t limited to having an experience. What I have noticed is that the demand for teachers with license in teaching are now sought-after by those reputable employers.

Now, the question is ”How can I get a license in teaching without breaking my bank or without going to school for 4-5 years?” The answer is simple. If you’re a degree holder, you can enroll yourself to a school that offers a DPE course (if you’re based in the Philippines) or PGCE (if you’re from England, Wales, USA, and Northern Ireland).

DPE stands for Diploma in Professional Education and PGCE means Postgraduate Certificate in Education. Acquiring this qualification will make you eligible to work as a teacher in countries across the globe. Please note that earning a DPE in the Philippines won’t guarantee you a job. However, you can use this to qualify in taking the LET or Licensure Exam for Teachers.

Therefore, if your degree isn’t related to Education major or the like —like myself for instance, I majored in nursing (I’m a nurse) so what I did to get a teacher’s license is of course to pass the LET. How I did it? I studied DPE in Cebu Normal University and when I completed the required number of units to qualify for taking the test —I took the test and passed. That’s when I became a licensed teacher.

The process was worthwhile coz you don’t have to commit to a 4 or 5-year study just to get this credential. All you have to do is show up in class for about 4-10 months. Some schools like University of San Carlos for example, they offer DPE but they require students to finish the whole two semesters to be eligible in applying for LET. Whereas in CNU, one semester is enough so it’s up to you to finish the second semester.

One semester is equal to 18 units, therefore, to qualify for LET (I mean, to be eligible to apply for teacher licensure exam —you must at least complete the 18-unit from your DPE short-term course.

The requirements vary every school —so do some research about schools or Unis that offer this type of program that way you can weigh your options or see which one works for you best. You may check my previous post about schools that offer this program. There are things you should consider when applying like the school’s proximity, tuition and duration of study.

Here’s the syllabus of the DPE program in Cebu normal University (CNU):

I hope that you find this topic helpful.

Thank you for reading. Till next time! Stay safe!❋ ♡

Hey You! Leave a Comment!

%d bloggers like this: