Teaching (as a whole) has long been a career with a great deal of effort and low pay. Unlike other jobs that demand a similar degree of schooling or training, teachers struggle to make ends meet with their unchanging wages. This is a phenomenon common to teachers (and any other professionals) from the Philippines.
It’s no surprise that many are pushing for higher salaries especially for Filipino teachers. These are courageous individuals who can no longer accept the unjust/biased compensation from employers.
Few years ago, the usual rates of online ESL teachers range from 110-150 Php per hour. Now, so many teachers raise eyebrows with companies that offer an hourly pay of below 200 Php.
Let’s not forget that there are others who are okay with these rates and dying to get a job from these companies. So how about a rate of 200 Php per hour ($4) or more? As I’ve noticed on Facebook, a job post with this starting rate is more appreciated than a post with a 100+ rate.
[Check my previous posts for more options on ESL teaching jobs.]
1. Company: Sieun House English
Posted on Facebook by Sha Solano
- Teach Koreans (elementary to high school students) one-to-one English classes for 25 minutes/50 minutes through Skype.
- Teachers will be given a regular schedule of their students. No pressure about making lesson notes and reports.
- Teaching materials are provided.
- Salary increase would be based on the teacher’s overall performance in class.
- We Accept Part-Timers, choose your availability
- Free Training will be provided after hired
- Rate: 160-200 Philippine peso per hour
Email your self-intro video and resume at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Company: Ullala Monster English
Posted on Facebook by 울랄라 몬스터 English
- Home-based Online ESL Teacher
- Rate starts at 130-200 Philippine peso per hour
- Classes: 20 minutes, 25 minutes, 30 minutes, 35 minutes
- All are regular students
- NO WEEKEND CLASS except if you need to conduct a MAKEUP CLASS
- All lesson materials are provided
- Peak hours: 6-9PM weeknights
- Students are beginners to advanced levels from South Korea
- ***Can start immediately next month
- Must be based in the Philippines
- Bachelor’s degree and undergraduate are WELCOME to apply
- At least 22 years old
- At least with 6 months of teaching experience
- Proficient in English
- Good with young learners
- Reliable Wired Internet Connection
- Teaching certificates are preferred but not mandatory
- Please send your resume and Skype ID together with a short video self-introduction to email@example.com
3. Company: Oleo English
Posted on Facebook by Phuong Nguyen
OLEO, a startup ESL service provider is looking for female teachers (PART-TIME POSITION).
This is a 30 minutes 1-on-1 class with Vietnamese kids ages 4-12 years old in a regular and fixed schedule. Materials and resources are provided.
- University graduate; Education degree is an advantage
- 2.With teaching certificate (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA)
- At least 2 years of online teaching experience with kids.
- Pleasing personality (presentable, perky, confident, excellent communication skills and with good accent)
- Can commit for a long-term period.
- Can teach from 6-10pm on weekdays, anytime on weekends.
- Salary will start at P200/hour and will go higher when you conduct more classes.
- Teachers will be given official uniforms by the company.
- CV with picture
- Teaching Certificate
- Self-intro video
- 25-min sample lesson video with a kid- (This is a must. Previous company and students)
- ***Send the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Company: Seven Mango
Posted on Facebook by Seven Mango
- Courses: general, conversational, business, IELTS and TOEFL preparation.
- Students: adults, kids (mostly from Russia).
- Classes: video only (Skype, Zoom).
- Not a booking system. The classes are scheduled in advance.
- Rate: $2 per 25-min lesson, $4 per 50-min lesson. Trial classes are unpaid.
- 7mango is a Russian ESL company with Russian management and Filipino teaching staff.
- We provide our Teachers with a stable monthly payment via Western Union. Taxes are on the company’s side.
- Before hiring a Teacher, we sign a contract to protect both sides.
- In 7mango we maintain continuous learning strategy by providing our Teachers with top self-study courses (Cambridge, “Effortless English”, etc.).
- Conduct English classes with the students (children and adults).
- Prepare students for IELTS and TOEFL exams.
- Coordinate with the students for their preferred class schedules.
- Schedule the student’s classes and if necessary, make schedule-related changes on our system.
- Make required Class Summaries on time, email them to the student and the Manager, and upload a copy on the teacher’s Google Drive folder.
- Assign homework to students who want to receive it.
- Inform the Manager about the decided schedules and all changes that are made or needed to be made, and when the student has finished the last lesson.
- Newly – hired teachers are on probation period for 2 months under the guidance of a mentor (1 month of training in our system and 1 month of independent work).
- The probation period may be extended or shortened at the employer’s discretion depending on how the teacher handles the work.
- 25+ English Teacher.
- Female. Filipino.
- Has a college degree.
- Has at least 5 years of online teaching experience.
- Has a clear American or British accent.
- Can work at least 4 hours within 9:00 – 24:00 time period.
- Can work on Saturday.
- Has at least 1 years of relevant experience in IELTS/TOEFL preparation.
- Desire to engage and inspire learners
- High-speed and stable internet connection (at least 10 Mbps)
- Desktop PC or Laptop.
- Latest version of Skype, Zoom.
- Headset with microphone (with a noise-cancelling feature).
- A quiet, well-lit area to conduct classes (with a white or light-toned background).
- Internet backup (additional ISP, 3G/4G usb-modem or 3G/4G portable WiFi router).
- Computer backup and power backup (is a plus).
𝗛𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗹𝘆
If you meet the requirements, kindly send us the following:
- Updated resume (with a picture).
- Video (is a plus) or audio self-intro.
- Cover letter.
- Certificate. (is a plus)
- Speed test result link. https://www.speedtest.net
- Please write your name in subject your e-mail.
5. Company: Partner English (Adult Learners Department)
Posted on Facebook by Ayeng Dizon
- Fixed schedule and regular students
- 140-250 Php based on performance during demo class
- With bonuses: attendance, performance, Christmas, and referral
- Monthly government benefits: SSS, PAGIBIG, Phil health
- Teacher can apply for promotion semiannually (June/December)
- Paid trial class
- Fluent in English with neutral accent
- Clear pronunciation
- With teaching certificate is an advantage
- Minimum of at least 1 year teaching experience with adult learners is desired
- Send your 1minute introduction video and updated resume to email@example.com
6. Company: Vgogo English
Posted on Facebook by Sandra Liu
- One-to-one online English teaching
- Students: Chinese kids (5 – 15 years old)
- Rate: $5 – $6 per 50 minutes
- Weekly payment via PayPal or AUB Paymate
- Important work hours are on weekdays 5pm to 10pm, weekends: whole day
- Responsible teacher and can commit to a fixed schedule schedule
- With stable internet connection and reliable equipment
- Familiar with Zhumu or Zoom
- ***If you’re interested, apply thru firstname.lastname@example.org, with CV and a video introduction attached. Do not send a video through google drive or YouTube.