Are you a native English speaker aspiring to be an ESL teacher? Do you like the idea of not commuting and having more time for yourself or family? If you’re a stay-at-home parent, a student who wants to earn extra cash, wish to work from home with your pajamas on, have a perfect internet coverage with all the gears ready for teaching—then you might want to be a home-based English tutor now.
Below are my recommended companies for you to start with—and if you prefer a gazillion of options, then check my previous post about 110 list of online ESL companies.
EF Education (English First)
– the world’s largest private education organization.
- Students: Kids in China ages 5 to 13, adults between 24 and 50 years old
- Lesson duration per class: 25-minute one-on-one online English classes
- Earn up to $20 an hour and a chance to get extra rewards after conducting more classes
- Payment is sent via direct deposit
- Peak hours based on China time zone:
-Mondays to Fridays from 6:00 to 8:30AM NYT (DST)
-Friday & Saturday evening classes from 9:00 to 10:30PM NYT (DST).
-Weekday classes start at 4:00AM NYT (DST)
-Weekend nights beginning Friday night at 9:00PM Eastern time (DST) to Saturday morning at 9:00AM NYT (DST) and Saturday night 9:00PM NYT (DST) to Sunday morning 9:00AM NYT (DST).
- Native English speaker with a Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 40 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification (or higher)
- Experience in early childhood development, teaching or mentoring is desired but not mandatory
- Excellent communication, cultural awareness and motivational skills
- Enthusiastic or with great interpersonal skills
- Preferred accents/nationalities:
-Native North American
-Native Australian/New Zealand
-Native South Africa
- You’ll work as an independent contractor in this position.
- May start teaching or be given actual classes as soon as 14 days after application.
- No mandatory teaching props or backdrops needed
- Lesson materials are provided and uploaded into the online classroom. The topic is based on what the student is currently studying or the parent’s preference.
- You can set your own availability but teachers with consistent schedule (the same weekly time slots) will get the most bookings.
- EF Education has both one-to-one and group classes that range from 20-45 minutes in length and are delivered on a custom platform. An average group lesson has 5-6 students, but we also offer private, one-on-one lessons for professionals or adult learners.
-Largest online English school in Latin America and in the U.S. Hispanic market
- High School & College Prep (age 15-18); Adult (age 18+)
- Early Morning: 6AM-9AM
Late Afternoon: 3PM-6PM
Late Night: 12AM-3AM
- There’s a minimum number of work hours per week and if I’m not mistaken, it’s between 15-25 hours per week. It varies coz there’s Open English for Adults and there’s Open English Junior.
- For Juniors, expect that it’s going to be a group class which usually consists of 4 students (4 is the maximum). On the other hand, if you’re assigned to adult learners, the class is either one-to-one or by group.
- The teacher’s responsibility apart from delivering the lesson is providing individual feedback to students after each class. (The process is simple and easy.)
- Though they don’t have the highest pay, OE is highly professional, and if you’re a dependable teacher, you will be in demand. The pay rate is $8-13. They pay through PayPal and bank transfer (probably they offer more payment methods now).
- They use Zoom to conduct classes.
- The duration of each class is 25 minutes.
- Experienced teacher is preferred but not required
- With teaching certifications or credentials is desired but not required (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA or equivalent)
- Conversational level in Spanish and/or Portuguese is a great advantage and will be prioritized
- Able to incorporate or with knowledge about the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- Familiarity with ESL assessments, with the ability to evaluate and create assessments
- Excellent communication skills (both written and spoken English)
- Native English speaker with clear pronunciation
-a Korean-owned ESL company that mainly caters Koreans (adults); provides a one-to-one audio-only class
- This is a Korean-owned online ESL platform that mainly caters Koreans of all ages (majority of learners are adults)
- Originally, they only have audio-only classes but very recently they started offering classes where camera is required and it’s for young learners only (as of 2022). If you prefer the audio-only class, then you can do so.
- You have the freedom to choose your working time. So if you log in to your teacher account, all you need to do is select ‘’Standby’’ which is by the way equivalent to ‘’online’’. This means that you’re available and can cater to students at any time.
- You’ll see who are the online people (teachers and students) coz it will pop up on your screen. On the students’ end, they’ll see who’s the available tutor to call.
- When a student calls you, you’ll be notified immediately coz there’ll be a ring tone and you must answer it immediately—that’s how it works. You’ll be paid per minute of conversation with the student regardless if it was cut off or otherwise.
- There are students who will send you a message first before calling you but usually they just ring you whenever they feel like it.
- Lesson materials are provided and you’ll know the topic that the student chooses coz it’s will show on your screen. If it isn’t the case then you can just simply ask the student. More often than not, they request for a free talk.
- Learners can leave a review of their experience which will then appear on the company’s website or you’ll see it on your profile. They either give a rating or leave a comment (usually when they’re extremely satisfied or dissatisfied).
- Rate for Filipinos range from $3-$4.5; Native Speakers from the USA/CA/AU/NZ/UK/Ireland starts at $10 up to $14 per hour
- One class is equal to 20 minutes but students have the option to extend up to three times, and if the call suddenly got disconnected or the student needed to stop the class, then the teacher will still be paid based on the duration of call. It won’t be taken against the teacher.
Check my previous posts: